Skip to content

Categories:

Godaddy Hosting – pageok message

Symptom

If you you are using Godaddy shared hosting for your website or blog, you may be surprised to encounter a blank page when you attempt to navigate to your website.

If you are using GoDaddy shared Linux hosting, you may see nothing but the word “pageok”.  If you view the source of the page, you may see:

<!-- pageok -->
<!-- managed by puppet - hostingcms02 -->
<html>
<pre>pageok</pre>
</html>

If you are using GoDaddy shared Windows hosting, when you view the source of the page you may see some html and JavaScript, as well as something along the lines of:

<!-- pageok -->
<!-- 04 -->
<!-- 368 -->
<!-- 7.12-->
<!-- Copyright -->

You might try and search Google for answers on how to solve this, and even Godaddy’s support site where you will find confusion and  statements from support staff  like “it is difficult to troubleshoot the issue” and “you’ll need to get in touch with our support team“.

Cause

In reality, its not “difficult to troubleshoot the issue” at all, and you’ll be glad to know that you don’t need to get in touch with their support team.  The pageok message will occur when you have a host record (ie: “A” record) in the DNS zone file for your domain that is pointing to a GoDaddy shared hosting server, however the domain name is not set up in your hosting account.

Solution

1. Make sure you have the domain name set up in your hosting account

To do this:

1. Log in to the Hosting Control Panel.
  2. Click the icon that says “Hosted Domains”
  3. Make sure your domain is shown.  If not, add it.

2. Make sure the entry you created in the “Hosted Domains” section of your Hosting Control Panel is not still pending setup.

When you add a domain to your hosting account, it can take a LONG time.  Up to 24 hours, in fact. To check if yours is pending:

1. Log in to the Hosting Control Panel
  2. Click the icon that says “Hosted Domains”
  3. Find your entry and check its status.  If its status is “pending” then you are going to see a pageok message.

Example of a configured domain that is still pending setup.

If the status says “Setup” and you STILL see the pageok message, then continue to steps 3 & 4:

3. Make sure the correct IP address is assigned to the host record in your domain’s DNS Zone File.

If you also have your domain registered with GoDaddy, when you add the domain to the “Hosted Domains” list in the Hosting Control Panel, GoDaddy will also take the liberty of modifying your DNS zone file for you automatically.  To check this occured correctly:

1. Log in to the Hosting Control Center
  2. Take a look on the right hand side of the screen.  There is a box titled “Server Details”.  Under that there is an IP address displayed.  Note this IP address down somewhere.

4. Make sure your host record (“A” record) is pointing to the correct IP address.

If you have your domain registered with GoDaddy, the steps are below (it will be similar for other domain registrars)

1. Log in to the “Domains” tool.
  2. Select your domain
  3. Click “DNS Zone File”
  4. Check the relevant host record (you may have several).  If there is only one it will have the host name “@”.  Make sure the IP address matches the one you noted down before.  If not, change it.

Note: DNS changes can take a long time to propagate through the Internet.  If you make a change to your DNS Zone File, it could take up to 48 hours to full propagate.  Further, some devices such as home routers cache DNS records so you may need to wait some time before testing changes to DNS records.

Posted in Uncategorized.

6 Responses

1. Jessica says

I have a site with this error. Only one page has this error. There are 5 pages that don’t. When I create a new page with the exact same html, I don’t get this error. Do you think that still means I have a problem with my hosting account?

• Steven George says

Hello Jessica,

This sounds very strange. A couple of possible solutions come to mind:

- Your may be viewing a cached version of the page. I would try to eliminate that first by trying a different browser, better still a different computer, and better still a different internet connection. The reason for the third is that if you are in a corporate environment there may be proxy servers that cache web content.

- If you have completely ruled out caching, I would verify that the page is not running from a different sub domain to the rest of the pages. For example, if the pages that work are on http://www.example.com and the broken page is on portal.example.com, there may be a problem with the latter subdomain. The instructions in my post should then be applied to the broken sub domain.

I hope this provides some help

2. MikeKS says

I have this issue consistently with GoDaddy with all new sites on Linux within the past few months. Sometimes you call and they resolve it instantly, sometimes they tell you to “wait” and then I have to call again. Tonight I just called and I got the “wait”…I think the guy I talked to didn’t know what he was doing and I think the advanced hosting staff didn’t want to deal with him when he called for help — because previously, when I’ve called, it got resolved instantly. It’s annoying because my A name and my hosting account are set up and have been for several hours.

3. jewelry fashion says

Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us
    so I came to take a look. I’m definitely enjoying the information.
    I’m bookmarkling and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Exceptional blog and outstanding design.

4. Dan says

Having the same hosting issues with GoDaddy for the past week. I’ve been waiting for over 24 hours for them to offer a response, but there is none yet. I’ve been battling this for the past week.

pageok

Any suggestions on what I can tell GoDaddy to help them fix this in a timely fashion? Any suggestions for a better hosting company.

5. Al Bunch says

The best solution for this is to cancel your hosting account with GoDaddy and open an account with a provider that knows what they’re doing. I spoke with 5 different reps trying to get this resolved and each one gave me the “just wait a little while – DNS takes time to propagate” response. DNS had already propagated as all the additional subdomains were already resolving. I don’t have time to play help-desk-bingo looking for the one employee that knows the answer. InMotion charges just as much as GoDaddy and they give answers when you call, not the run-around.

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.